The San Diego County Fair is open through July 4. In the interest of public safety, activities involving direct animal interaction at the Fair have been suspended.
All guests are encouraged to wash their hands after any contact with animals or their living area, as well as prior to eating or drinking.
Gems & Minerals Show
The information below is from the 2019 Fair, and it will give you an idea of what to expect in 2020. Please check back soon!
This exhibit features rare and unique gems, mineral specimens, fossils and handcrafted jewelry by professional and non-professional jewelers. San Diego County is home to many collectors and enthusiasts who share their collections, which include museum-quality and unique specimens.
2019 Exhibit Highlights:
• Fluorescent mineral room
• Gem faceting, jewelry making, rock carving and sphere making demonstrations
• Free Gem I.D. (provided by the Gemological Society of San Diego on weekends)
• Daily docent tours
• Mineral of the Year: Birthstone Minerals
• New Categories: Beginner Gemstone Carving, Fair Theme Jewelry: Wonderful World Of Oz, Trace Fossil (fossil of a footprint or other “trace” of an animal)
• Fossil of the Year: Ammonites.
If you are interested in the entry requirements, please see the Gems, Minerals & Jewelry competition page.